University of Leipzig Summer Language Immersion
I. PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
Located in northeastern Germany, less than two hours from Berlin, Leipzig is the second largest city in the former East Germany. The peaceful revolution that brought an end to communist rule began here, in the Nikolaikirche (Church of St. Nicholas), in October 1989. While Leipzig is an industrial and commercial center, one-third of the city is covered by parks and woodlands that provide abundant recreational opportunities. Leipzig is also recognized as a cultural center, with an outstanding musical heritage; the composer Johann Sebastian Bach served as the city’s musical director for many years.
Summer Language Immersion Program:
German Area Studies and the Center for Global Education invite you to apply to the Leipzig Summer Language Immersion Program to continue your engagement with German language and culture. Generously supported by the Julius G. Blocker ’53 Endowed Fund, this is a month-long language immersion program based at the InterDaF Herder Institut in Leipzig, Germany. As you hone your language skills, you will also experience the cultural richness of Leipzig and its surrounding area with numerous organized field trips and events. Upon successful completion of the experience, you will receive one course credit (LEIP 440), applicable toward a German minor or major.
- Students must complete at least one semester of German language (taken at HWS) with a B- or higher (students with higher grades will be prioritized)
- 2.5 minimum GPA overall and meet Center for Global Education social conduct requirements
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Must be a current FY, SO, or JR level student. Graduating seniors are not eligible to participate except in extraordinary cases, to be determined by the Center for Global Education and German Area Studies faculty.
- Complete the Leipzig Summer Language Immersion Program application form online
- Include a one-page statement of intent in which you describe your interest in this program and discuss why you believe you are a strong candidate
- Provide the names of your faculty advisor and the faculty member in German Area Studies most familiar with your academic performance.
Requirements Upon Return:
- Students selected for this program will be awarded a grant from the Julius G. Blocker ’53 Endowed Fund that covers the cost of the course and accommodations in Leipzig during the program
- Participants also receive a stipend of $1000 to defray the cost of airfare and meals
- Students are responsible for the balance of their airfare and meal expenses, independent travel, and incidentals
- Completed “Tagebuch auf Deutsch”
- Blocker Cultural Project to be presented at the Blocker Showcase in the Fall
Upcoming Program Dates:
Session A: June 2 - June 27, 2020
Session B: July 6 - July 31, 2020
Session C: August 3 - August 28, 2020 (only for those studying in Germany in Fall 2020)
Application Deadline: Monday, February 24, 2020 by 11:59pm
University of Leipzig